What Is Your Life’s Purpose?
I love this question because it gives me an opportunity to talk about something that I haven’t blogged about yet, and to give a shout out to a phenomenal person who helped me better understand these concepts.
“I have had a difficult time trying to figure out what my life purpose is. Right now, it seems like it could go so many ways. I keep jumping back and forth between what I think I should do with my life and I am unable to decide. How can I find direction in my life and career? I just feel like I need someone or something to give me a little push and tell me which option to pursue.”
When people ask, “What’s my life’s purpose?” I often respond with, “What do you want it to be?” We often have this idea in our heads that our life’s purpose is extremely specific. We’re supposed to find our purpose, choose it and then we’re supposed to have this career, we’re supposed to marry that person – but as with most areas of spirituality, it’s more broad than we give credit and can manifest in a multitude of ways.
Last year for my birthday, my husband gifted me an in-depth hand analysis session with Susan Hakiman, a professional hand analyst. What is hand analysis?
Some people might equate hand analysis with palm reading, and there are some similarities, but hand analysis is far more in-depth.
From Susan’s website:
Life Purpose Hand Analysis is an innovative non-predictive approach to what your hands have to say pioneered by Richard Unger. A Hand Analyst uncovers not only your personality psychology reflected in the shape, fingers, lines, and mounds of the hand but also another layer information, your Soul/Life Purpose imprinted five months before you were born in the energy patterns left on the tips of your fingers.
I learned a lot of interesting things during my three sessions with Susan, including:
- Soul/Life School – The overall theme of your life. Are you in the School of Service, Love, Wisdom or Peace?
- Soul/Life Purpose – What makes you thrive. How you are meant to show up and where it feels really good!
- Soul/Life Lesson – The skill set needed in order to fulfill the life purpose. The “whatever(s)” that keep tripping you up (but point the way to living your purpose).
My life school is Peace. Cultivating a peaceful and balanced existence out of feelings of being overwhelmed, emotionally numb and panic is one of the things I came here to experience. This encompasses root chakra issues such as safety, trust, survival, instinct and belonging to a group.
Life purpose isn’t those specific things we often think of when we ask ourselves that question, it’s more so a consciousness that we long to inhabit and its about doing things in our life that allow us to inhabit that consciousness.
My life’s purpose is threefold:
- Mentorship – Living a life of integrity, personal accountability, balanced commitment to self and others, knowing my self-worth, and inspiring others to do the same.
- Innovation – Discovering and accepting who I really am, and doing things my own way which is usually outside the box of what is considered normal.
- Insight/Healing – Committing to growth in my personal life and truth in all aspects of my life. Living a life the is reflective of my personal values, learning to heal myself and using that to heal others, and learning to develop and trust my inner voice, and learning how to look deeper at every situation and emotion.
My life’s lessons are also threefold:
- Hiding out/ feeling like I don’t belong
- Family and community issues / fitting in / taking care of myself
- Blocked passions (knowing what I want in life and pursuing it) and emotional numbness (refusing to deal with messy emotions)
As you can see, these are not specific THINGS that I am experiencing, but rather, specific THEMES. And I’m already experiencing those themes – they have been in my life all along, it’s only a matter of the details that I’ve chosen in how they manifest. I could be a mentor in an infinite number of ways. I could be an innovator in an infinite number of ways. I can be a healer in an infinite number of ways, but all of them would fulfill my life’s purpose.
All of my challenges manifest in these categories as well. The things that I tend to struggle with are self-worth and self-esteem, expressing emotion instead of shutting it off, trusting myself and my intuition.
These are passions that are built into your personality when you are born here. They’re not something you have to find, they’re already a part of you. It’s just a matter of how you express them.
So to answer your question of how can you find direction – the answer is simple. Do what you love and which makes you feel fulfilled. It doesn’t matter how – only you know what that is.
Thanks for being here,
Enjoy this post? Subscribe to get ass-kicking inspiration delivered to your inbox.
Got a question? Submit it to me via email.
Send me a question that you want me to cover in a future blog post to email@example.com or use the button below.
SUPPORT MY WORK
If you benefit from the free educational content I provide and would like to further support my ability to provide these resources, you can purchase a business consultation, or make a donation: